If you have a problem, fix it. But train yourself not to worry, worry fixes nothing. - Ernest Hemingway

Wednesday 25 September 2019

Faith



Sunil Gangopadhyay

The wife of a close friend
Has decked herself up carefully,
But she won’t join us for dinner tonight.
She’s on fast, it’s Neel Shashti today.
When I was young, I used to make
Much flippant fun at times like this.
Now I just give her a hollow smile.
One mustn’t hurt anyone’s faith.

Another friend,
Who first dragged me into Left politics,
Has a new ring with a gemstone.
As he saw me frown, he said weakly,
‘Haven’t been keeping well of late;
So, mom-in-law asked me to wear this,
A moonstone, couldn’t say, “No”.’
I thought it was my personal defeat.

At times I visit the home
Of a revered professor
To listen to his thoughts.
There’s so much to learn even now.
Today, for the first time I saw
A figurine of Ganesha
Fixed on the other side of his door.
I didn’t ask, but he came out on his own,
‘My son has brought it from South India,
It’s a lovely work of art, isn’t it?’
I didn’t question why
A lovely sculpture
Should be on a door instead of in a cabinet.
It would have been frivolous at my age.
I’m getting on in years,
And I am being defeated,
Defeated again and again.

One mustn’t hurt anyone’s faith,
One mustn’t hurt anyone’s faith,
All around there’s so much of faith,
And faith is spreading
Like wildfire.

When a saffron believer
Decides that the blood of an infant
From another religion
Must flow down the road
To be licked by stray dogs,
That too is deep faith.

The flag-bearer of religion who thinks
That people should slash the throat
Of the girl who sings
And she should put on a burqa
Even when she plays tennis,
That too is deep faith.

Those who are marching towards destruction
With bombs strapped to their bodies,
Flexing muscles, smiling toothy smiles,
Trying to put the world under their feet,
They all belong to the league of the faithful.

Everyone is a faithful, faithful, faithful …
At times I feel like shouting out in my broken voice
Wake up, Unfaithful People of the world!
The faithless have-nots of the world, Unite!

Translated on 25 September 2019

[Photo Courtesy Wikipedia © Biswarup Ganguli]

The original poem in Bangla:

আমার ঘনিষ্ঠ বন্ধুর স্ত্রী,
বেশ সেজেগুজে এসেছে
কিন্তু আমাদের সঙ্গে খেতে বসবে না
আজ তার নীলষষ্ঠী
যৌবন বয়সে এই নিয়ে কত না চটুল রঙ্গ করতাম
এখন শুধু একটা পাতলা হাসি
অন্যের বিশ্বাসে আঘাত দিতে নেই
আর এক বন্ধু,
যে প্রথম আমায় ছাত্র-রাজনীতিতে টেনেছিলো
তার আঙুলে দেখি
একটা নতুন পাথর-বসানো আংটি
আমার কুঞ্চিত ভুরু দেখে
সে দুর্বল গলায় বললো,
শরীরটা ভাল যাচ্ছে না
তাই শাশুড়ি এটা পরতে বললেন,
মুনস্টোন, না বলা যায় না।
আমার মনে হলো,
এ যেন আমার নিজস্ব পরাজয়
শ্রদ্ধেয় অধ্যাপকের বাড়ি,
মাঝে মাঝে তাঁর আলাপচারী শুনতে যাই
এখনও কত কিছু শেখার আছে,
আজই প্রথম দেখলাম,
তাঁর দরজার পেছন দিকে
গণেশের মূর্তি আটকানো।
প্রশ্ন করিনি, তিনি নিজেই জানালেন,
দক্ষিণ ভারত থেকে ছেলে এনেছে,
কি দারুণ কাজ না?
সুন্দর মূর্তির স্থান
শো-কেসের বদলে দরজার উপরে কেন
বলিনি সে কথা
সেই ফক্কুড়ির বয়স আর নেই
বয়স হয়েছে, তাই হেরে যাচ্ছি
অনবরত হেরে যাচ্ছি
অন্যের বিশ্বাসে আঘাত দিতে নেই,
অন্যের বিশ্বাসে আঘাত দিতে নেই,
চতুর্দিকে এত বিশ্বাস,
দিনদিন বেড়ে যাচ্ছে
কত রকম বিশ্বাস
যে গেরুয়াবাদী ঠিক করেছে,
পরধর্মের শিশুর রক্ত গড়াবে মাটিতে,
চাটবে কুকুরে,
সেটাও তার দৃঢ় বিশ্বাস।
ধর্মের যে ধ্বজাধারী মনে করে,
মেয়েরা গান গাইলে
গলার নলী কেটে দেওয়া হবে,
টেনিস খেলতে চাইলেও পরতে হবে বোরখা,
সেটাও তার দৃঢ় বিশ্বাস।
যে পেটে বোমা বেঁধে যাচ্ছে ধ্বংসের দিকে,
যে পেশী ফুলিয়ে, দেঁতো হাসি হেসে
পদানত করতে চাইছে গোটা বিশ্বকে,
এরা সবাই তো বিশ্বাসীর দলা
সবাই বিশ্বাসী, বিশ্বাসী, বিশ্বাসী....
এক-একবার ভাঙা গলায় বলতে ইচ্ছে করে,
অবিশ্বাসীর দল জাগো
দুনিয়ার সর্বহারা অবিশ্বাসীরা এক হও
সুনীল গঙ্গোপাধ্যায়

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will be happy to read your views, approving or otherwise. Please feel free to speak your mind. Let me add that it might take a day or two for your comments to get published.