If you have a problem, fix it. But train yourself not to worry, worry fixes nothing. - Ernest Hemingway

Wednesday 30 September 2020

Remembering them …

  Poem and Painting by Soumya Shankar Mitra

Remembering Suzette Jordon of Kolkata, the young woman of Kamduni, Nirbhaya of Delhi, the little girl of Kashmir, Manisha of Hathras, and every other girl and woman of my ill-fated country who suffer terrible indignity at the hand of power, and with apologies to Subhash Mukhopadhyay …

However far I might go, 

A phallic symbol of power, 

The clenched fist of a rapist 

Walk alongside.

 

However far I might go,

Walk alongside me

The lecherous look of the protector,

The pathetic defences of the ruler,

The wary eyes of the neighbour

The impotent verdict of the judge

The dance of falsehoods in the crematorium.

 

However far I might go

Along the pitiless guttural path of survival,

A pair of bloodstained footprints of God

Walks alongside me …

However far I might go …

 [Translated by me on 30 September 2020, I have changed the heading.]

The original poem follows >>>

 

 রেপ-কথা

 সৌম্যশঙ্কর মিত্র

 (কলকাতার সুজেট ,কামদুনির তরুণী,কাকদ্বীপের বালিকা, দিল্লীর নির্ভয়া, কাশ্মীরের বালিকা,হাতরাসের মনীষা আর আমার দুর্ভাগা দেশে প্রতি দিন যে মহিলারা ক্ষমতার আস্ফালনে ধর্ষিতা হন তাদের সবার কথা মনে রেখে আর প্রয়াত সুভাষ মুখোপাধ্যায়ের কাছে ক্ষমা চেয়ে এই কবিতা ছবি পোস্ট করছি।)

 

আমি যত দূরেই যাই

আমার সঙ্গে যায়

ক্ষমতার উথ্থিত লিঙ্গ

ধর্ষকের মুঠির সন্ত্রাস৷

আমি যত দূরেই যাই

আমার সঙ্গে যায়

রক্ষকের লুব্ধ দৃষ্টি

শাসকের খঞ্জ যুক্তি

পড়শির সন্দিগ্ধ চাহনি

বিচারকের নির্বীর্য বিধান

মিথ্যার শ্মশাননৃত্য৷

 

আমি যত দূরেই যাই

আমার সঙ্গে যায়

অস্তিত্বের নির্মম কর্দমাক্ত পথে

ঈশ্বরের সারি সারি রক্তমাখা পায়ের ছাপ৷

আমি যত দূরেই যাই----

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to the original author and brilliant translation by you sir, in bringing out the naked truth in our society.

    ReplyDelete

I will be happy to read your views, approving or otherwise. Please feel free to speak your mind. Let me add that it might take a day or two for your comments to get published.