If you have a problem, fix it. But train yourself not to worry, worry fixes nothing. - Ernest Hemingway

Sunday 11 February 2018

Carl Marx, died in Russia, buried in Bengal


Rabindra Kumar Dasgupta 
(11 July 1915 – 3 February 2009)

[Translated from ALEEK SANGLAP (UNREAL DIALOGUES) (pp 57-58) published by Gangcheel, Kolkata (2008), in Bangla. To appreciate the context, please keep in mind that this was written towards the end of the Left rule in Bengal, Shortly before the author passed away.]


Engels: The party devoured the society [in Russia].
Marx:  In the end, the society devoured the party.
Engels: But it will never happen in Bengal. For almost two hundred years, Bengalis accepted the British rule. In Bengal today, the party has replaced the British. Everyone seems to be begging for its favours. I can see that in this city [of Kolkata], a new breed of Rai Bahadurs and Rai Sahibs have been created.
Marx:   It saddens me that all this has been happening in my name. I died in Russia; I have been buried here.

*

Engels: Our theory talked about class struggle. It didn’t talk about uniting the human society. We understood economics, but couldn’t fathom the human mind.
Marx:   Now I see that the world, having forgotten everything else I said, remember only my last speech. On 4th September, 1872, I said in Amsterdam: “I do not deny that there exists countries like America, England, and if I know your institutions better, I would add Holland, where the workers may be able to attain their ends by peaceful means.”
Engels: Even then, I’d say that our philosophy will remain at a special place in the history of human thoughts.
Marx:   But I didn’t want to become history, I wanted to create history.


Translated Tuesday, 6 July 2010
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will be happy to read your views, approving or otherwise. Please feel free to speak your mind. Let me add that it might take a day or two for your comments to get published.